Login
  • Home
  • News
  • RAIS Meeting Notes of November 17, 2016

RAIS Meeting Notes of November 17, 2016

November 21, 2016 7:49 AM | Ray Patterson (Administrator)

RAIS MEETING NOTES OF November 17, 2016.pdf (click the link to read the notes in a better format)

Location: Saratoga Springs Public Library

Present:  Brian Farr, Janine Stuchin, Theresa Knorr, Maureen Provost, Ken Provost, Jim Dorn, Todd Bishop, Judy Moffit, Julie Ann Brennan, Sue Martin, Jacob Weakland, Gary and Jody, Heidi, Lorraine, James and Oscar S.

The meeting was called to order by Brian Farr at 7:05 pm.

Agenda Item                         Discussion                                                                                                                       Action

Meeting Summary &       Introductions were made.                                                                                   None.

Agenda

Business Items                                     Theresa Knorr brought us up to date on FOR-NY activities.

                                                      Our Stories Have Power training is coming up in NYC and              If interested,

                                                      Syracuse.  The Executive Summary of the Recovery Needs            register for training.

                                                      Survey was distributed.  Theresa advised of the US Surgeon

                                                      General’s Report on Addiction which was made public today.

                                                      The Surgeon General’s Report on Addiction was discussed.        ____________ and

                                                      Brian Farr asked for volunteers to coordinate contact with         Maureen to reach out

                                                      the media.  ____________ volunteered to contact Travis                 to the media.

                                                      Clark at the Saratogian and Maureen Provost volunteered

                                                      to contact Claire Hughes at the Times Union.

Janine Stuchin reported that the Saratoga Leadership                                     None

Group recently visited the Turning Point facility in

Bennington, VT. 

Jacob Weakland advised that he is setting up a                                                     To be discussed at the

RecoverySaratoga.org website.   Specific details will be                                  next Leadership Group

discussed at the next RAIS Leadership Group meeting.                                    Meeting.

Janine Stuchin reported gave an update on the Saratoga Spgs

Recovery Community Center.  An OASAS representative is           None.

coming to look at a potential site.  If this site is approved,

the expected opening date will be in February.

The ___(HFM?) group has chosen space on Briggs Street in

Johnstown and has hired a coordinator. 

The Glens Falls group continues to move forward. 

Jim Dorn reported on two topics discusses at the the most        Jim to continue to

recent Stakeholder’s meeting.  The SPAC workgroup continues                  attend the monthly

to address the number of overdoses at concerts.  70% of the

summer drug and alcohol overdoses come from 3 concerts.  

They are working on improving the services available SPAC

concerts, potentially developing a safety plan to be implemented

at select concerts.  Jim advised that the Saratoga Springs Hospital

is totally behind this public health issue.

Janine reported that a group of health and human services providers

recently met with CDTA to request that bus service be restored to the

125 High Rock area, and it looks like it will be restored.  It is vitally

Important to have bus service to the Prevention Council and SPARC

offices. 

                                                                                           

First Night (December 31) events were discussed. 

We will have the Tree of Hope again at the Saratoga Springs Visitors     Ken will ask

Center with ornaments available for a donation.  Ken Provost is going                   Hewitt’s to

to ask Hewitt’s in Wilton to donate a tree.  We will have an                         donate a tree.

information table, with recovery information available as well.                                 Maureen will

Maureen Provost will coordinate runners for the RAIS team for the        prepare a stmt 

First Night 5k.  Maureen will prepare a blurb for the RAIS website.           for the website.

Donation/pledges can be made directly on the RAIS website. 

We have been asked to provide two volunteers to work at the

information Center as well.

Members were asked for suggestions as to where to hold the                    Members asked

Sober Super Bowl in 2017.                                                                                                      for input.

The next Summer Smith 5k Race is scheduled for May 13, 2017                                    None

in Guilderland.  2016 race profits were donated to the Addiction

Care Center of Albany,  Schenectady YWCA and FOR-Albany. 

No Treasurer’s report was presented.

There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:30 pm. 

Respectfully submitted,

Maureen Provost

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software